Friday, November 23, 2007

Job hunting

It turns out the school doesn't own the floor, and they are struggling to make ends meet paying the extortionate monthly interest on their mortgage. This is so tight that the teachers have been informed that it is likely the school will close down at the beginning of December. Yes, that's in a week's time.

So I made claims about being able to find another job "just like that" - and I'm about to put that to the test. There are new visa laws now though which might mean that I may have to go back to England to get a new visa (the working visa is attached to the job) and it also makes my one week trip back home for Christmas rather pointless when I could be staying for longer, since my dates are no longer fixed.

It's come as a shock to everyone, and it's a total hassle. The vice principle feels awful about the situation and really wants to make sure that everyone gets paid what they are owed, and has suggested we'll be able to keep our flats until we've got new jobs sorted. But having said this, she doesn't control the money - we just have to hope that her power is strong enough not to screw us over.

It's just irritating that we've finally settled into our apartments, started to get to know the area, and it's starting to feel like home. But it seems likely we'll have to move out ASAP and start all over again, probably in another area of Seoul.

I complain a lot about the school, but really this is just my dislike of whining children. But I don't like anybody who whines (and I'm not sure I know anybody who really loves it). But I like the job in general and it just seems a shame we have to pack it in when we've only been here a month.

And the job hunting process is a hassle...and I'm just starting to recall the efforts we went to the first time around. I suppose at least this way we can easily see the place we might work and meet the staff without relying on photos across the internet...

No comments: