Monday, November 17, 2008

James Bond: Quantum of Solace

So much to the amazement of my friends as the cinema was booming with action, I managed to fall asleep for the first twenty minutes of the film. I woke up right in the middle of the loud sound effects feeling I'd missed most of the plot lines, but soon realised that I hadn't actually missed much that I couldn't catch up on. Granted it's a James Bond -- it's not supposed to have the most complex of storylines -- but to sum up there was: a lot of action, Bond going off the rails, a distinct lack of Bond girl action, oh, and more action. I'm not saying there wasn't a storyline, there was just a whole lot more shooting and not a whole lot of dialogue for my liking.

Also, against usual Bond film norm, this was a sequel to the previous -- much better -- movie, with many references that would be lost on you if you'd not seen it, and apparently (I'm not astute enough to have really noticed) storylines have been left over for the inevitable trequel. This isn't necessarily a criticism, but it's recommended to have seen the previous one first before heading out to catch all the nuances of this one.

Still, it was well-acted with a great cast, and it's a good job they kept Daniel Craig on to keep the attentions of the bang-bang-tired such as myself. The continuation of this 007 was certainly a highlight for me. But despite my feelings, I know some of my friends thoroughly enjoyed it. Each to her own I guess.

Spent most of this weekend sick which was a tad bit annoying. Haven't thrown up from non-alcohol related reasons like that in years. Not so pleasant, but I still managed to whoop Brian's ass at Guitar Hero...

3 comments:

hanj said...

Hmm not sure I'll be going to see this one after all! Have had my action movie fix this week by watching The Hulk last night! Don't make him mad!!

CH said...

Oh I dunno - it's still good - just lots of action! Can't say I'll be going to see the Hulk though...

Ian said...

For your amusement:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoJRLStD9c