Monday, November 10, 2008

Bachata with Jorge Elizondo

It's been another epic weekend. This weekend at You Can Dance studios we were graced with the presence of Jorge Elizondo who put on a three day bachata workshop. I love this dance. When I first started going to salsa bars, I found it a bit sexy to be doing with people I didn't know, or indeed with people I did know. However, the more I learn about this dance, I can't get enough of it. Not to mention that the music is beautiful. Here's a sample of Jorge's dancing:



So for three hours of Friday night I was going back to basics with hip action and the basic steps of bachata. Followed by a late dinner and chatting with Jaideep half the night, we then got up Saturday morning to meet the crew at Jenny's place for lunch. She cooked us Korean food and it was delicious. We then rushed off to the second day of workshop where we took on some bachata sequences, took an hour for dinner, went back for salsa class, and on to Caliente for a hardcore night of sexying up our new moves. Including dinner (who doesn't dance over dinner?) from 3pm to 3am that was 12 hours solid of dancing. No wonder my feet hurt the next day.

But it doesn't stop there - I met David for brunch at the All American Diner on Sunday (check it out for huge ass American portions), followed by a well needed coffee, on to the third and final day of bachata where we continued to learn more moves, try and remember everything from the previous two days, put it all together and not forget to move those hips. To recharge we fit 17 of us into a small Indian restaurant, chucked all the tables together in the Coffee Bean for 17 of us to have coffee, and finally those hardcore enough went on to dance more salsa. As it was hitting 10pm, I went home and thankfully accidently set my alarm an hour late this morning. If I hadn't, I may well have been hiding in a corner from hyper active children all day.

But bachata. It's an easy dance to learn, and it's heaps of fun. Big fan.

No comments: