Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's snowing...

...which is wonderful underfoot when the sun has failed to peak through the great cloud of Seoul smog and the settled snow crunches satisfyingly beneath you. Unfortunately when the sun comes out at midday the snow melts rendering the pure white roads a dull sludge resulting in wet socks and a worn-off novelty.

The first two days of teaching have gone reasonably smoothly for me. Vast knowledge differences between the children have become apparent, with some having been taught some English at home while others not having much of an aptitude for much of anything. Considering, these differences are to be anticipated.

The trouble lies in attempting to devise a lesson plan that enables everyone to benefit from the teaching regardless of ability. I've tried to incorporate some kind of colouring/cutting/sticking to occupy the kids in each lesson. This gives me the opportunity to go round and gauge some of the levels of the individuals, but this then only highlights the split between the children. It is nice that we have free reign over what we teach - at least this way if we want to, we can completely cater to the children's needs and weak spots; it's just finding out what they already know which will take some time.

Having a Korean teacher in the classroom has proved advantageous so far. Since the spoken levels of the children are so limited, to ban Korean from the classroom altogether would almost certainly result in increased timidness, low self esteem, or, at best, a silent room. It is only natural for the kids to speak in their mother tongue, helping each other out with the work presented to them or asking their teacher surreptitiously for instructions.

I have one qualm at present, however. I have been particularly irritated by one of my co-teachers; I think she might feel a little over protective over her class and doesn't like the idea of sharing her kids with me. Thus she's been rather trying to take over my English lessons by repeating words I've taught in Korean, or answering my questions in advance of the children. I feel I have no authority in this class due to her insistent Korean speaking. Obviously I have to nip this problem in the bud but tact has never been my strong point, especially in a foreign language...

Pictured: the view of the playground from the teachers room

No comments: