Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Changdeok Palace

Never forgetting my British roots, it would be against my nature not to pass comment on the weather. Thus I feel it is integral to mention the beautiful blue skies and fluffy white clouds that adorn the view from my apartment, but mock me as I step outside to the icy air, yet again forcing me to succumb to the knowledge that mother nature has deceived me once again...

If it weren't for my extremities, I would certainly relish in the clear days. Today was in fact the perfect day for a stroll round 창덕궁, or Changdeok Palace. As wiki has just informed me, the literal meaning of this name is "Palace of Prospering Virtue". That's nice, isn't it?

Anyway, as I was saying, it was a perfect day for a stroll round the palace. Apparently we weren't the only ones who thought so, as we witnessed the filming of a Korean drama. Coming back an hour later after the full tour of the grounds, they were still filming the same scene involving grown ups standing around in hanbok while children ran around them, making those chirpy bird-like noises well-behaved children in films always do.

We suspected it was our tour guide's first tour, since she was very apologetic of her English, slipped up with a comment of "Oops, I meant to say...first," and was surprised when the circle of the grounds overran by half an hour. Still, she tried her best to engage her audience, with jokes of pretending to be royalty and explaining how there is no Father Christmas in Korea due to the traditional underground heating systems - he can go down the chimney but at the other end he is still outside! Although she got some feeble laughs, our hearts went out to her as she asked for the tenth time, "What do you think...was used for?" and still failed to get answers.

Nevertheless, I am 100% more informed about the Joseon dynasty than I was when I woke up this morning, I have passed through the gate of longevity, I have kicked my way through autumn leaves and I have marvelled at 750 year old juniper tree that has made its way as a "Natural Monument". It doesn't get much more productive than that. Left: the brown trunk-like sticks are merely support for the alleged 6 metre girth of the Changdeokgung Chinese Juniper.

On top of this, I cannot fail to mention that I have frozen my fingers off through attempted photography, but happily defrosted them in a traditional tea room on the heated floor while drinking Hundred Herb Tea. It was surprisingly pleasant^^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WoW You've had lots of fun today~ visiting 창덕궁^^ My last vist to 창덕궁 was when I was just an elementary student^^ It's really nice for you to get to know about Korea better. I think you will know more about Korea than I do when I return to Korea~lol