Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Lunar New Year

I've taken on some extra part-time work this week, so have been forced to favour my computer screen this long weekend rather than partake in extended family rituals this year.

This also means that instead of gorging myself on festive foods indoors, I've experienced the one time of year that Seoul closes down. Shops and restaurants might be open on Christmas Day in Korea, but the 24-hour convenience lifestyle is annually renounced for the first day of the year by the lunar calendar.

This year that day is today, Monday 26th January.

One thing that the second national turnaround does give, is an excuse for establishments to keep their excessive Christmas decorations up a little longer, much to the horror of Korea's western residents.
Although the shops are shut, Yongsan's CGV was screening some films which gave me the perfect excuse to dust my camera and snap some shots at the I-Park Mall - hence the unseasonal photograph.

Subok and I checked out Changeling, and despite craning our necks to view the big screen from the second row as we battled all the other cinema-goers on this national holiday, it was an excellent choice. Definitely recommended.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Changeling is such a good film isn't it? I think you'd like Seven Pounds too. I saw it at the weekend and it was brilliant though a real tear jerker!

Can you believe a whole year has passed since we our lunar new year at your family's? Was it then that we went to the night club the next day with yongju? xxxxxxxx

CH said...

I know I can't believe such a long time has passed...though it does seem like ages ago! Seriously can't believe I'm nearly leaving!