Friday, January 9, 2009

Back in transit

The last couple of days of our holiday were wonderfully relaxing. We spent Wednesday in FRIM - the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia. Unfortunately our taxi driver thought he'd make a few more pennies out of us and dropped us at the far edge of the forest, leaving us to wander around before finding both the information centre and the fact that we'd missed the opportunity to walk on the canopy walkway. Still it was nice to take a wander avoiding leeches and mosquitos and enjoying the greenery just a step outside of the big city. We headed for Berjaya Times Square in the afternoon to try out the "Premiere Class" cinema: a screen dedicated to couples kitted out with two-seater chairs only. If I'd have been in the UK I'd have definitely complained about the level of air-conditioning though; I think all three couples who'd gone to watch "Bedtime Stories" (quite amusing by the way) came out of the film shivering.

After a brief wander round Merdeka Square in the hottest midday sun we'd encountered all holiday, yesterday we went back to Times Square to get our fill of indoor amusement park. We weren't overly impressed that one of the attendants fell asleep leaving us battling with the centrifugal force(-? I'm no physicist) of Ooert's Express (right) for a good ten minutes. But it was quite novel to ride a rollercoaster over the top of a huge department store.

So I'm back in Beijing airport after a sad final parting and a six hour flight from KL waiting out the seven hours until my connecting flight to Seoul. It's -13 degrees outside, but this time I brought gloves to the computer to save my freezing fingers. It's been a truly wonderful holiday...and it's just another four weeks of teaching the kiddies before the pack up and goodbye from Korea!

2 comments:

Ian said...

Technically I don't think centrifugal force exists... I'll do some reading and get back to you :-)

CH said...

It doesn't exist?! OK well let me know when you do :)