Monday, September 22, 2008

Leaving season

I've mentioned once or seven times that it's leaving season. That is, lots of people are leaving Korea right around now. Yet another one just left this morning, and I guess with the end of my original contract approaching it feels strange not to be following suit.

With Joey and Helen leaving for their honeymoon yesterday there seemed to be a need to give extended goodbyes to everyone at the end of the night, despite the fact everyone would see each other in a few days time. The dance studio has been my sanction from small children these past six months, and to me I guess it just feels a bit like the end of an era.

Actually not everyone shares my feelings. I spoke to a friend who has been here a decade or two, and he just said that people leave so often it comes as no surprise anymore. In fact he went so far as to say at one point he and his wife just gave up trying to make friends, as they'd only be leaving soon anyway. When I first arrived in Korea I was warned about people leaving all the time, but it's only now that I'm really noticing it.

Still, new people come as much as they leave, and I'll just be following the trend next year too...

3 comments:

sjgknight said...

I'll be arriving soon...but then I'll be leaving shortly thereafter so...

YH said...

I'll be arriving soon, too... but then... you are coming home with me, BUDDY :D

CH said...

Well you people are full of threats, aren't you? :P