Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Giving in to pressure

The argument:

With society having moved increasingly towards a 2-parent working family, schools need to support the needs of working mothers. With the English learning boom of the past few years, competition from English language hagwons, and new regulations for all public schools to have English teachers, this kindergarten is under pressure to keep up.

The solution:

There is a 'day-care' class for children whose parents work and are unable to pick them up from school in the afternoon, where they play, read books, do occasional cooking (sorry, 'cooking') and use building blocks. "To support working mothers" the principal wants to introduce another English class to encourage parents to keep their children at school in the afternoon. And guess who has to do it?

Initially I gave an outright "no". I know it's not a big deal - I just have to read them a story and maybe do some 'fun' story-related activities, but it's just another thing I don't want to do, and frankly, another thing the kids don't want to do after several of them having already spent an extra two hours English lessons after a full day of Korean studies. This is let alone the day-care teacher who has already made all her plans and now has to fit in a farcical story time. Unfortunately this is well within contractual hours, so I don't have much of a leg to stand on when I try to object, though I got some sighs from other Korean teachers when they heard I finally agreed.

Actually, I don't really mind, now. It's easy - I can just read them a story, and as long as I fill the time I guess no one really cares what I do with it. It's not like I can complain given all the slave-driving hagwons out there. It was just the principle of the thing. "Now that my elementary class has been cut I have ALL this free time, so I can do another class." It sounded like they were working me for the sake of it. But since there is this highly convincingly dubious argument to persuade me I roll my eyes and give in.

No comments: