Thursday, May 22, 2008

The single red rose

The single red rose, bought off-hand from an elderly lady preying upon young men in hope of conquering their latest target, by an unassuming male making a friendly gesture to a group of his new acquaintances. Why is it, being subject of such a meaningless gesture, that I then feel obliged to adorn myself with the encumbering item, even out of eye shot, when all it will do is ultimately suffer the inevitable and could have just as easily been tossed aside on my home? What is it about this flower that society has ingrained in us? Do we really associate such notions as "love" and "romance" with it? Or is it merely a metaphor for what it may represent: the initial passion that serves only to be admired before it wilts and dies?

If this is the case, the person who you really want to receive such gifts from is the meaningless acquaintance, who will undoubtedly remain that way, from where there is no guilt about the nothing that is attached to the non-existent meaning.

Alternatively, my own notions of love and romance have been tossed aside in favour of cynicism and realism; baby we've been apart too long...

And I should probably chuck that rose; it's obviously bothering me^^

2 comments:

Ian said...

I know gorgeous, not too long now though :-)

CH said...

It's still too long away... *cry*