Sunday, February 22, 2009

Orientation

Friday was potentially my last day of teaching - ever. I got the kids to write thank you letters to their teachers, and even made one of them cry when I pointed out her mistakes. An excellent finish, I'd say!

Yesterday Chris, Marie's boyfriend, future co-worker and my replacement, and I were forced to sit through an excessive number of speeches as the new parents were called in for "Orientation Day" while the children met their new teachers. I wasn't aware the kindergarten offered so much that could warrant so much talking. We, too, had to give our part (translated line by line) in explaining the English curriculum, but it seemed we were really only asked to sit out the rest as an exercise in parading the token foreigners. Oh yes. The snide comments will ride out til the end!

In the evening I took the subway all the way down to Suwon to meet my extended Korean family for a final dinner. Everyone was in good spirits, the food was good, and I was honestly surprised that I'd forgotten this tradition of giving money. It was also nice to have an idea of the conversation flitting across the table this time too, and to do some final bonding my with cousins and their kids. [I do notice the won is horrendously weak at the moment, which isn't wonderful timing for sending home my final pay packet...]

So now that it's actually my last week in Korea, it seems every man and his dog wants to see me. Which is lovely, of course, but rather limits my events to "...and then I met --- for our last farewell..." Given that I'm meeting Alex for lunch and heading over to Subok's jazz gig tonight, there'll be more.

No comments: