Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Korean language course

Having been in Korea for over three months now, and having not really learnt very much Korean, I thought it was time to enroll in some kind of course. I'd done a bit of self-study, but it turns out that after a long day at work going home to use my brain even further wasn't very appealing and motivation was running thin.

It is thus that I have enrolled at the Korea Foundation Cultural Centre, where they give free Korean lessons to foreigners (that's tautology; if you're not foreign why do you need lessons?
). The lessons are conducted by volunteers, and there are several levels to get through with a level test on completion of each month. Apparently having learnt a bit of basic vocabulary allows you to jump straight in the second class, so I was a bit unsure of what to expect.

My first class was good though - we learnt a bit of grammar and did lots of partner dialoguing. Though the class is only on once a week, there's plenty of material to be getting my teeth into before the next class! Motivation is still needed for self-study, but a bit of friendly competition with ones classmates always helps -- at least for me
. "If it's a competition, I'm there". Certainly makes me hope I'm as inspiring to my kids to study hard...but the number that appeared to have learnt the entire English language overnight is a positive sign ;-)

And as a quick plug for those in Korea, if you're not looking for a serious course, I'd certainly recommend these classes for a well thought-out, free programme; check out their website for more details.

No comments: