Friday, February 29, 2008

Juno

If I were to make a list of my favourite activities, as I am indeed guilty of having done with such social networking sites such as Facebook that today's generation of computer users are all too familiar, I would put "cinema" somewhere near the top. On reflection, I'd hope that the list wouldn't be too long anyway, for fear of boring the bored person who would be reading this list, and thus the bottom of the list would too be near the top. So you understand that it is a particular pastime that I am fond of.

To my disappointment I have not recently been able to attend one of these establishments. There has been film watching, naturally, after all, I do have MegaTV. But the big screen and plush seats have been absent from the experiences. Since otherwise this would be among the more pointless blog posts I will have published, you may have guessed that yes, tonight, I went to the cinema.

If you are particularly astute, you may too have suspected that Juno was the film that I saw, what with it being the title of the post.

Unusually I have few cynical comments to pass on this film. The protagonist was endearing; the theme was emotive and topical; the conclusion was satisfying. The light-hearted presentation allowed the humour to be accessible without dampening the significance of the subject. Many questions were raised regarding "morals" and one's "faith in humanity".

- How can we ever be sure that love will last forever?
- In view of this, is a loving single parent a good substitute for a two parent family that may ultimately break down?

My GCSE RE teacher taught me that a Buddhist would answer, "Treat each circumstance on its own merits," to many of the stock morality questions that students are faced with. He didn't teach me that there are approximately a gazillion streams of Buddhism, all of which follow varying variations of the religion. That's right, varying variations. Nonetheless, this simplified view of views rather seems to have it down with my throwaway thoughts.

Apologies for the unnecessarily pretentious tone of this post. It's what comes of listening to Radio 4 immediately prior to blogging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first paragraph is very you :-)

CH said...

What's that supposed to mean?!