Friday, June 27, 2008

If it's a competition, I'm there.

For reasons not totally unbeknownst to me, but certainly unnecessarily, I've been placing a lot of stress on myself this last week. Issues with unruly students have been coming to a head lately making my working day just a smidge less than tolerable, resulting in a tired and grumpy Chi-Hé. And she's not someone you wanna reckon with. But above all, today was the day that I would potentially take the unprecedented leap from BEGINNER to INTERMEDIATE level Korean class.

Now it wasn't that I wanted to level up for self-congratulatory purposes. I'm not really about to bust a gut over something that is ultimately a hobby with beneficial outcomes.
For instance, if I felt I could do with the extra practice I would willingly - perhaps voluntarily, as I have previously done - retake a class. But it wasn't about how good I felt I was; it was about how good I felt I was in comparison to other people. Feeling that I was on a par with my classmates, the fact that the fate of my progress was at the mercy of a subjective aural/oral test and the whim of my teacher made me feel a little uneasy.

The teacher composed the level test as a kind of on-going competition, whereby each time you formed an accurate sentence or answered a question correctly you would score one point (or two, or three, depending on the generosity of the teacher at that particular moment; as I say: subjective). Now, by half-time I was already ahead. Not necessarily because I was the best, but because I was the most keen.

I often go out of my way not to be the irritating student who calls out all the answers as a Miss-Know-It-All. In fact, being a teacher, I now FULLY appreciate the merits of waiting one's turn and giving other students a chance. However, since there was a competition in play, I naturally made today an exception.

The fact that everybody in the class passed the test is irrelevant. The fact that I tripled some people's scores due to my speedy hand-in-the-air is clearly what matters.

10 comments:

Jimmy said...

On a slightly related note: can you actually type 103 wpm or was that just the result of lots of luck (/attempts)?

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

CH said...

He he, if it makes you feel better my median is only a mere 84 wpm. Luck of the words, yes (note a previous post complaining about a sticky ' key); lots of attempts, also yes. No need for bitterness; I obviously have too much time on my hands...

Jimmy said...

Oh good. That does make me feel better.

Sounds like just enough time on your hands to me (this is what I keep telling myself at least).

CH said...

So! What's YOUR median? :D (Competitive streak coming out...)

Jimmy said...

Hmmm. My median is 79 wpm but I let other people play on my account and they were rubbish so it's clearly just wrong... :P

Ian said...

Clearly you should both reset your stats and see which of you wins in terms of median and best score over 50 tries... that would mean losing your precious 103 though!

sjgknight said...

I beat you both

CH said...

humph! this ISN'T a competition!! (is it? :P) it's ok, we ALL beat ian...

Jimmy said...

This is true. Let us all take comfort in our mutual beating of Ian (which is special because he's so awesome).

Also: definitely not a competition or I would be doing better...

p.s. Who is Si? *waves*

Ian said...

Grump :-(

I'm just not cut out for this typing malarkey